Believe it or not, using a Self-Storage Unit is actually considered an art form. Don’t believe us? Try it out yourself! Stack your boxes from left to right or from right to left in the self-storage unit and let your creativity run wild. With an added bit of careful thought and preparations, your stacks will not only look organized but it’ll be organized and that’s not even the best part! The best part is you’ll know exactly where you put each item so that it will not be hard to find what you’ll be looking for! Check out these 5 helpful tips in organizing your self-storage unit to ensure a successfully organized master piece! Let’s get started!
1. Choose One Specific Box Size (if possible) – Having same sized boxes will definitely help make your planning process a whole lot easier. You’ll have a clearer estimation of where the boxes should go and how many boxes should be allocated to one side of the self-storage unit or the other. Additionally if you’re into detailed planning, you may go as far as measure the width, height and dimensions of the box for an even clearer plan of action. To make matters even easier and more flexible when you’re stacking, you may look into boxes that are interchangeable. For instance, using two small boxes that equal the size of one large size box. This is helpful and beneficial for you because you may want to store specific items in a box that you wouldn’t normally store in another.
2. Identify & Prioritize The Items You May Need – Let’s be honest here, there are certain items that you use regularly and items that you do not use regularly. The trick is to store the items you do not use regularly on the lower boxes. The idea of this tip is to have your most regularly used items on top of the storage for easier accessibility. One note to mention is to give extra thought to seasonal items such as Christmas lights, Halloween costumes, Thanksgiving decorations and etc. You may also consider separating the self-storage unit in half with one side having seasonal and frequently used items such as tents, sleeping bags, sleds and etc.
3. Label Each Box You Pack – This is where true organization comes into play. Labeling each box on the top and the sides of the box will help keep you sane when it comes time to dig through your belongings. There are several methods of organization when it comes to labeling your boxes. You can color code each box with a specific color to represent a specific group of items or use numbers to distinguish the boxes from one another. Perhaps even a combination of both color and number.
4. Create The Master List – Some people may refer to the master list as the holy bible of their self-storage unit. The reference is by all means nothing short of excellence. So once you are completed with your desired method of labeling, a master list should be created. This master list will be your ticket to maintaining your sanity. The master list will come in handy when you need to locate a specific item, especially if some of your boxes are completely out of view. With technology becoming more advanced by the second, you can save yourself the trouble of hand-writing the entire list of the self-storage unit. Instead you can opt to using Microsoft Word or another digital recording application to write down your specifics. With all that said and done, if you’re a detailed planner and you want to be extra. We recommend writing down the corresponding box color/number with a list of the items that the box contains as well as the location of the box in the self-storage unit. This is of course, one hundred percent optional.
5. Place A Map Of Your Belongings Inside The Self-Storage Unit – Drum roll please! The last step to an organized self-storage unit is a map. That’s right! A Map! A simple friendly reminder of the interior layout of your self-storage unit is the final tip in becoming a pro. Typically, the average person that visits their self-storage unit ranges between a few weeks to a few months depending what is stored in the facilities. We sometimes tend to be forgetful at times and as a safety measure, a map can help alleviate time spend digging through your belongings.
Storing your belongings in a Self-Storage Unit is one of the best ways to create free space in your home. Whether it’s for a short-term storage or a long-term storage, Titan Self Storage can help accommodate your storage needs. If you’ve got fold-up tables for family parties, household supplies and seasonal decorations hogging up space in your garage, a Self-Storage Unit may be the solution for you. Here at Titan Self Storage we offer a variety of storage units in Elgin, Illinois at low competitive prices. Rent a 10×10 storage unit for $110 a month to store your belongings. Rent or Reserve online today or call us for additional information at 1-847-697-8700.